All Working with Children Check (Check) cardholders have legal obligations and responsibilities under the Working with Children Act 2005 ('the Act') and the Working with Children Regulations 2016 ('the Regulations'). Penalties apply for breaching the Act or the Regulations.
For more information go to Individuals' offences.
You must show your card to every organisation that engages you in child-related work as they must ensure that:
- their workers doing child-related work have obtained a Check
- people working for profit or gain hold an Employee Check, not a Volunteer Check.
Once you have passed the Check you must:
- renew your Check before it expires to continue doing child-related work
- not let anyone else use your card for child-related work
- keep your card in a secure place.
- show the new organisation your card
- go to MyCheck and add the organisation to your details within 21 days.
You must notify the department and your organisation/s in writing within seven days if your circumstances change in any of the following ways:
- you are charged with, convicted, or found guilty of a sexual, violent or drug offence or the charge has been dealt with by a court in some way
- a professional conduct report is made against you
- you are required to report or comply with orders under:
- Part 3 of the Sex Offenders Registration Act 2004
- the Serious Sex Offenders Monitoring Act 2005
- the Serious Sex Offenders (Detention and Supervision) Act 2009.
For more details, go to Ongoing monitoring.
The department can direct you to surrender your card when it has:
- been revoked
- been replaced.
By law, you must have a reasonable excuse for refusing or failing to surrender your card.