Top navigation

You are here:


Apply for a Check

In this section, you will find information about applications for the Working with Children (WWC) Check, including:


Before you apply for a WWC Check


You must determine if your work is ‘child-related work’. If it is, you need to apply for a Check unless you qualify for an exemption. Click Do I need a Check? to find out if you require a Check or not. 

Organisations can determine if a role or position requires a Check using Do my workers need a Check?


My work is child-related work and I am not exempt, what do I do next?

You must apply for a Check before you commence child-related work.

If you have not applied for the Check but you are already engaged in child-related work you must cease this work until you have lodged an application.

When you lodge an application for a WWC Check, you will receive an application receipt. You may engage in child-related work on the receipt unless you have been charged with or convicted of a serious physical or sexual offence known as a Category 1 or Category 2 offence under the Working with Children Act 2005 (the Act).

If you have a Category 1 or a 2 offence, you cannot work with or care for children until the Department of Justice has processed your application and only then if you are issued with a WWC Check card. It is a serious offence for you to engage in child-related work without a WWC Check card. See Relevant offences list and Application assessment for details.

There are other situations where you may not or cannot engage in child-related work until you have passed the Check and received a WWC Check card. See Individual offences and Interim Negative Notices.


What do I need to lodge an application?
  • a WWC Check online application summary or completed paper form
  • a photograph of passport size and quality
  • original and current proof of identity (POI) documents
  • your application fee if you are applying for an Employee card.