This section explains what is involved in applying for a Check:
- Apply for a Check
- How to lodge your application
- What happens after you submit your application
- Your obligations as an applicant
- What is checked during the assessment
- How your personal information is used and protected
- How the department assesses applications
- What happens if you:
- How to withdraw your application.
Before you apply for a Check
First check if you are doing child-related work or exempt by taking the quiz Do I need a Check?
Organisations can determine if their workers require a Check by taking the quiz Do my workers need a Check?
You must apply for a Check before you commence child-related work.
If you have not applied for a Check but are already doing child-related work, and are not exempt, you must cease this work until you have lodged an application.
When you lodge an application for a Check, you will receive a receipt. The Working with Children Act 2005 (the Act) allows most people to do child-related work while their application is being processed.
However, by law, you cannot work while your application is being processed if you:
- have been charged with, or convicted or found guilty of a serious sexual, violent or drug offence listed in clause 2 of Schedule 3 of the Act
- have previously been given a Negative Notice
- are subject to orders or reporting obligations under the:
- Sex Offenders Registration Act 2004
- Serious Sex Offenders Monitoring Act 2005
- Serious Sex Offenders (Detention and Supervision) Act 2009
- have applied for a Check to supervise a child in employment under the Child Employment Act 2003
- have applied for a Check for work regulated by the Education and Care Services National Law (Victoria)
- have applied for a Check for work regulated by the Children’s Services Regulations 2009.
If any of the above situations apply to you, you must not work with or care for children until the department has assessed your application. Only if you pass the Check will you be able to do child-related work.
To lodge an application, you will need:
- the printout of your online Application summary
- a photo of passport size and quality
- original and current proof of identity (POI) documents
- the non-refundable application fee if you are applying for an Employee Check.