This Website Privacy Statement only applies to websites, webpages and electronic addresses operated, maintained or administered by the department under the domain names workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au and www.justice.vic.gov.au .
Your personal and health information
- The types of personal and health information that the department may collect through its website include:
- your name, contact details, IP address and other identification details
- the content of any online application, enquiry, submission, subscription, survey or complaint that you submit to any of its website
- the content of any comments that you post to, or otherwise make available on, any of its websites
- any other information that you provide to, or make available on its website
- metadata relating to any electronic communications that you send to any of the department’s websites. Examples of metadata include your electronic address, time and date sent and message length.
You are responsible for ensuring that any personal or health information that you provide to, or make available on, its website is accurate, current, complete and relevant.
You can browse any of the department’s websites anonymously without disclosing any of your personal information. However, if you do not provide any information requested on any of the department’s websites for the provision of a service, then the department may not be able to provide the service to you.
Information about others
At or before the time that you provide any personal information or health information about another person, you are responsible for taking reasonable steps to ensure that the person is aware:
- that such information will or has been provided to the department
- how the person can access his or her information
- the purposes for which the information was provided to the department
- any law that requires the information to be provided to the department
- the main consequences (if any) for the person if all or part of the information is not provided to the department.
Use and disclosure of personal information
The department will not use any of your personal information it collects through its website to add you to a mailing list without your consent. The only reasons the department will use or disclose any personal information would be:
- for the primary purpose for which the information was collected
- for a secondary purpose related or directly related to the primary purpose, and which the person would reasonably expect
- if it’s required or authorised by law
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) or Health Records Act 2001 (Vic).
Subject to the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic), the department may need to disclose personal information collected through its websites to:
- the department’s service providers which provide website, archival, auditing, professional advisory, banking, mail house, delivery, recruitment, call centre, technology, research, utility, security, electronic payment or application processing services
- organisations acting on your behalf, for example your solicitor or interpreter.
For further information about handling of personal information by the department please contact:
Information and Privacy Unit
Department of Justice and Community Safety
GPO Box 4356
Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: 03 8684 0178