As an organisation, you need to understand your obligations. You must:
- not engage or continue to engage anyone in child-related work who doesn’t have a valid Check, unless they are exempt under the the Working with Children Act 2005 (the Act) or have lodged an application for a Check that’s currently being assessed ( subject to the below)
- not engage or continue to engage anyone who would otherwise be exempt from holding a valid Check, if they have received a Negative Notice and not subsequently received a Check.
- not engage or continue to engage anyone in child-related work who is subject to obligations or orders specified in clause 1 of Schedule 3 of the Act
- not allow people who are charged with, convicted or found guilty of sexual, violent or drug offences specified in clause 2 of Schedule 3 of the Act to work with or care for children while their application is processed or their Check reassessed
- not offer the services of any person who doesn’t have a Check to another organisation if the work to be undertaken with that organisation is child-related work
- know how to check if a person is allowed to work with children while their application is processed by using Check status.
- know how to check if a person has a valid Check card by using Check status
- ensure paid workers doing child-related work have an Employee Check, not a Volunteer Check
- know when your workers’ Checks expire, and
- respect and protect workers’ privacy.
For more information, please view our legislation for organisations page.