If you have a Volunteer Check and want to do paid child-related work, you need to change the type of your Working with Children Check from Volunteer to Employee. With an Employee Check, you can do both volunteer and paid child-related work for five years once you get your new card. 

There’s no need to start a new application – you can change it online! If you haven’t done so already, register for a MyCheck account.

1. Log in to your MyCheck account 

Once you log in, select ‘Volunteer to Employee Check’ from the dashboard. You might need a new photo, but we’ll let you know if you do (if you do, your digital photo must meet the requirements listed below).

2. Update your details

Make sure your personal and contact details are up to date, including the details of the organisation/s you’re going to be working with. Please check with your organisation if you are unsure of their contact details.

3. Pay the fee

There’s an application fee for an Employee Check that you can pay for using a Visa or MasterCard debit or credit card.

4. Wait to hear from us

Once you’ve switched, we’ll cancel your Volunteer Check card, so make sure you inform your organisation of your new application/card number. We’ll be in touch via email with the outcome of your application and if it’s approved, your card will arrive in two weeks.

Ready to change your Volunteer to an Employee Check?

Change from Volunteer to Employee 



Photo requirements if you need to upload a photo

You might need a new photo if you have renewed your card before. The photo you provide must meet the requirements below

You need to :

Face the camera with your head straight, not tilted

Head straight photo example      

Have a neutral expression on your face

Neutral expression photo examples        


Only show your head and shoulders

head and shoulders photo example

Be in front of a plain, light-coloured background

Background reference photo


Have your eyes open

Eyes open example photo



You can wear:

Glasses if you normally wear them

Glasses reference photos


Apparel covering your hair if you do so for religious or medical reasons

Head covering photo images

Your photo must be:


Colour photo reference

Have sharp focus

Sharp focus reference photo

jpg or jpeg format

File type reference

A strong contrast between face and background

Contrast reference photo

A minimum 406 x 521 pixels

Photo resolution image

Well lit with no shadows

Photo shadows reference


Less than 5MB in size

File size reference image

Less than 12 months old

Less than 12 months reference photo


Related pages