Top navigation

You are here:

Ongoing monitoring

Your Working with Children Check is valid for five years. During this time, the Department of Justice and Community Safety will monitor your criminal records and professional conduct determinations and findings.

If notified of a change in these records, the department will determine if you can continue to work with children or revoke your card.

Because your records are monitored for the life of your card, by law you must keep your personal, contact and organisation details up to date.

If you hand your card back to the department, monitoring ceases.


What is a relevant change in my criminal record?

You must notify the department and your organisation/s in writing within seven days if your circumstances change in any of the following ways:

  • you are charged with, convicted, or found guilty of a sexual, violent or drug offence or the charge has been dealt with by a court in some other way than by a finding of guilt
  • a professional conduct determination or finding is made against you
  • you are required to report or comply with orders under:
    • Part 3 of the Sex Offenders Registration Act 2004
    • the Serious Sex Offenders Monitoring Act 2005
    • the Serious Sex Offenders (Detention and Supervision) Act 2009.


What triggers a reassessment?

You will be reassessed when the department is advised:

  • by Victoria Police of a relevant offence or charge
  • of an adverse professional conduct determination or finding about you
  • by you of a relevant change in your circumstances.

For further information, go to List of offences.


What happens when I am reassessed?

If the department is notified that you have been charged with a serious sexual, violent or drug offence, your Check may be suspended during the reassessment process. As part of its reassessment, the department may contact you to seek further information and may also request information from other sources.

If you fail to provide the information  requested by the department, your card may be revoked.

As part of the reassessment process, the department may issue you with an Interim Negative Notice.


What happens if I receive an Interim Negative Notice?
By law, you must inform the organisation/s engaging you in child-related work within seven days of receiving the Interim Negative Notice, as the department intends to issue you with a Negative Notice. For details, go to Interim Negative Notices and Failing the Check.


What happens if I receive a Negative Notice?

The department has determined that you pose an unjustifiable risk to children and that you should no longer have a card. You can no longer do child-related work, even if you qualify for an exemption under the Act.

By law, you must return your card by the required date. Penalties apply if you fail to do so. For details, go to Failing the Check.