You may need to hand your card back to the Department of Justice and Regulation because:
- you are no longer engaged in paid or voluntary child-related work
- you have been issued with another valid card
- the department has revoked your card and directed you to return it.
You do not need to apply for a new Check if you change jobs or where you volunteer. You can add your new organisation to your existing Check online. For further information, go to Update your details.
You will need to change your Check type if you are transferring from Volunteer to paid child-related work. You can also do this online though MyCheck. Fees apply. For more information, go to Volunteer to Employee Check.
If you no longer need your card, you can return it to the department at any time.
If you hand back your card and are not exempt from the Check, you cannot do child-related work. If you want to do child-related work in the future, you must re-apply.
Once the department receives your card and cancels it, monitoring of your criminal records and professional conduct determinations and findings ceases.
Information you provided the department will be stored and disposed of in accordance with the Public Records Act 1973.
How to hand back your card
To return your card:
- Sign a statement declaring that you are the holder of the card and that you want to cancel it, or that you are returning it at the department’s direction. Please include your current address, as the department will let you know in writing when the card is cancelled.
- Mail your card and statement to:
Working with Children Check Unit
Department of Justice and Regulation
GPO Box 1915
Melbourne VIC 3001
The department will also notify the organisations engaging you in child-related work that your card has been cancelled. If you remove any organisation from your records, the department has the power to notify them that you have done so.