You may need to hand your card back to the Department of Justice and Regulation because:
- you no longer need your card
- you have been issued with another valid card
- your card has expired
- the department has revoked your card and directed you to return it.
If the department issued your card before 1 December 2010, you must also return the Assessment Notice you received.
If you no longer need your card, you can return it to the department at any time.
If you hand back your card and are not exempt from the Working with Children Check (Check), you cannot do child-related work. If you want to do child-related work in the future, you must re-apply.
Once the department receives your card and cancels it, monitoring of your criminal records and professional conduct reports ceases.
Information you provided the department will be stored and disposed of in accordance with the Public Records Act 1973.
Handing back your card
To return your card:
- Sign a statement declaring that you are the holder of the card and that you want to cancel it, or that you are returning it at the department’s direction. Please include your current address, as the department will let you know in writing when the card is cancelled.
- Post your card, statement and, if applicable, your Assessment Notice to:
Working with Children Check Unit
Department of Justice and Regulation
GPO Box 1915
Melbourne VIC 3001.
The department will also notify the organisations engaging you in child-related work that your card has been cancelled. If you remove any organisation from your records, the department has the power to notify them that you have removed them from your records.